Monday, December 19, 2011

Willa Cather in her novel "My Antonia" offers her view of pioneer times. This book could have been a tiny bit more interesting than it was, and it could have been done by changing the point of view.
I think the book would be a lot more interesting if it was told in Antonia's perspective. I think Antonia went through more difficult situarions than Jim. She went through getting pregnant before she was married, she planned to get married but her soon to be husband backed out, and her father committed suicide. I just think that the book would have been more meaningful to girls mainly, because we would get to take a look on how woman back then dealt with rough situations.
I think that Jim sounded a tiny bit fruity, feeling wise. I could tell a woman wrote the story because not many men talk about their feelings about things. I think Willa Cather should have told her story in a woman's point of view rather than a mans, due to the fact women tend to put their feelings into place, even if they do not need to.
I think Jim changed the title because he was in love with Antonia and they had been best friends for a while, so instead of just saying Antonia he wanted to show a little bit of ownership of her and named it "My Antonia."
All in all it was not the best book I have ever read, but it also was not the worst. The book "My Antonia" was just a happy medium for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment